[OTR-dev] OTR version 4 Draft #2

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Tue May 8 20:31:23 EDT 2018

Here is some information on Adium.

* stable
The current release is 1.5.10.4 dated 4/27/17.  This has:

  Adium.app/Contents/Frameworks/libotr.framework/Versions/3.2.1/

and does OTRv2 only.  With pidgin and libotr 4.1.1, and the pidgin
instance *having previously done an OTR exchange with the beta*, OTR got
into a terrible, non-useful state.

* beta, out of date

There was a beta version 1.6hgr5946, dated 9/5/16 (that I can't find
online now), and this has:

  Adium.app/Contents/Frameworks/libotr.framework/Versions/4.0.0/

and does OTR 2 and 3, sending "?OTRv23?".  This interoperated with
pidgin with libotr 4.1.1.

* comments

It appears that the 1-year-ago release is still old code, from the 1.5
branch, with old OTR.  The beta of 1.6 seems to have been updated to
libotr 4 -- but there is no hint of a current beta.

I tried to look on trac.adium.im to find out more, but:

  - the ssl certificate is expired (easy to click through :)

  - the trac itself throws errors (missing pgsql module)

So, it doesn't seem like Adium is currently maintained.  The list at
https://riseup.net/en/chat/clients politely agrees.