[OTR-dev] OTR version 4 Draft

Ivan Markin twim at riseup.net
Sat Dec 17 14:54:00 EST 2016

Ola Bini:
> As far as I know, there are no other people working on a specification
> of OTRv4. The idea from our standpoint is that we hope that we will
> get some comments and suggestions on changes and improvements, but
> sooner or later will achieve broad consensus on this specification -
> and once that happens it will be published on the OTR web page as the
> official specification for version 4. If you think it would help
> understanding to have a temporary code name we could absolutely do
> that - but at the moment I don't exactly see the point.

The closest illustration that comes to my mind of this idea is NIST hash
function competition. In the framework of OTR it's something like that:
There are some candidates for OTRv4. As of now there is only one
candidate here (call it e.g. Thunder) from STRIKE team. Maybe there will
be others, maybe not. Anyway, after some polishing/discussions there
should be consensus that, e.g. "OTRv4 is Thunder" (like "SHA3 is
Keccak"). This is just to not mess things up.

--
Ivan Markin