[OTR-dev] Attention OTR packagers: provide RC1 feedback by the end of Monday

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Sun Oct 19 20:39:50 EDT 2014

Ian Goldberg <ian at cypherpunks.ca> writes:

> On Sun, Oct 19, 2014 at 09:52:09AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
>>
>>   https://otr.cypherpunks.ca/libotr-4.1.0-rc1.tar.gz
>>   https://otr.cypherpunks.ca/pidgin-otr-4.0.1-rc1.tar.gz
>>
>> Builds fine under NetBSD 6 i386 (once I accomodated for the tarball
>> unpacking into the bare version rather than the tarball name), including
>> the new pidgin-otr linking with the new libotr.
>
> Cool.  To be clear, the issue was just that the libotr-4.1.0-rc1.tar.gz
> tarball contained a directory called libotr-4.1.0 and not
> libotr-4.1.0-rc1 (and similarly for pidgin-otr)?

Yes, exactly.  The pkgsrc infrastructure, following norms establish by
automake, expects a package to have a version and make dist to make a
tarball named foo-version that unpacks to foo-version.  Presumably you
have set the version to 4.1.0 and did make dist and then put that in the
download area as -rc1 (to keep people from thinking it's the release).
That's fine, really, and arguably there should be some automated way for
packaging systems to cope with that, but we first need a uniform naming
scheme, and reality is too messy for people to get around to that :-)

> That of course will not be a problem with the actual release.

Agreed, it shouldn't be.

> Thanks for the testing!

No problem; thanks for putting up an actual tarball, which really helps
with end-to-end packaging testing.