[OTR-dev] Pidgin buzz is not encrypted

Andre Bubel ml at andre-bubel.de
Thu Mar 20 13:21:35 EDT 2014

Hi,

I noticed, that buzzing someone in Pidgin using OTR is not encrypted.

The bug report below is copied from Archimedes ticket under
https://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/11928

It was closed, because "This issue is caused by a third party plugin."

----

When using the OTR plugin for secure conversations, the
Attention/Buzz/Nudge? is send in plaintext instead of encrypted (at
least in jabber, can't tell for other protocols as ICQ doesn't work atm):
(23:56:30) The following message received from archimedes at jabber.*.de
was not encrypted: [Archimedes has buzzed you!]

Though this is just a minor leak of information, it should still be
avoided to preserve complete privacy of the conversation.

I guess this is a libpurple bug, as both the button and the /buzz
command show this behaviour.

In a short:

Steps to reproduce:

    Start a chat
    Enable OTR
    Send /buzz or click "Attention!" Button

What happes:
Buddy gets an *unencrypted* buzz message

What is expected:
Buddy gets an *encrypted* buzz message