[OTR-dev] Protocol::OTR - OTR for Perl

Max govnototalitarizm at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 04:15:07 EDT 2014

19.06.2014 13:24, Ximin Luo пишет:

> glib isn't glibc.

Doh! Sometimes I type faster than I think :)

If we consider libotr only than yes, glib is a dependency which could be rather
easily avoided. But if we consider OTR as a whole - libotr plus half-a-dozen bindings
for various languages than I think it's a different story.

GI takes care of automating lots of boilerplate code - that's why making language
bindings using it is almost completely automated task. If we simply do not use glib
for that (or worse - trying to reinvent it) than this boilerplate stuff doesn't
magically disappear: it got to be written by someone. And tested. And maintained. So
the net result is actually more code and bigger attack surface.

Disclaimer: I'm not one of OTR devs so it's only humble advice nothing more.

cheers,
Max.