[OTR-dev] Protocol::OTR - OTR for Perl

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Thu Jun 19 07:39:43 EDT 2014

Ximin Luo <infinity0 at pwned.gg> writes:

> On 19/06/14 10:02, Max wrote:
>> 18.06.2014 14:19, Ian Goldberg пишет:
>>>
>>> Wouldn't that make glib a new dependency of libotr?  I'd prefer to avoid
>>> that, of course.
>>
>> Could you elaborate why? The benefits seems substantial and glibc is fairly ubiquitous.
>
> glib isn't glibc.

Indeed.  And glibc only shows up on Linux; it's hardly
portable/ubiquitous.

More seriously, it's good to avoid dependencies unless they are really
necessary.  And then, one has to evaluate the stability of the library
and their commitment to backwards compatibility.  glib isn't that huge,
and is probably one of the least troublesome things to depeend on, but
still absent a compelling need libotr is better off without it.  Adding
something like qt would really make it much harder to build libotr.