[OTR-dev] Persisting userstate object across app restarts.

Devrandom c1.otr-dev at niftybox.net
Fri Aug 15 13:36:46 EDT 2014

[resend from the right email address]

There's an idea I came up with a while ago that might be relevant -
Forgetfulness Servers.

A Forgetfulness Server remembers small key/value pairs in RAM and wipes
on request / after a timeout.  Call this "forgettable data".

In order to fulfill the PFS goals, the OTR session state could be
encrypted with a forgettable random password and then saved to disk.
The password would be wiped when the app comes back from sleep.

You could use multiple Forgetfulness Servers to reduce the chance of
collusion between the server operator and an attacker.