[OTR-dev] Codec2 and OTR

Jurre van Bergen drwhax at 2600nl.net
Fri Feb 15 17:43:16 EST 2013

On 02/15/2013 11:40 PM, Peter Lawler wrote:
> On 16/02/13 09:27, Nadim Kobeissi wrote:
>> I'm not sure I completely understand, but if you're looking to encrypt
>> audio, perhaps try ZRTP?
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZRTP
>>

>> NK
>
> Thanks for the info. Reading now. First response to the opening line
> of the WP article would be 'As per the video, Digital Radio is not
> VoIP'. Digital Radio is HAM stuff. The article continues on about how
> it negotiates at the start of the call. The 'problem' that I see there
> is that with HAM stuff, one has no constant signal carrier to maintain
> the encryption. Thus there's little (or no?) chance of negotiation at
> the start of each transmission. What I *suspect* OTR could do would be
> provide the fingerprint that enables secure comms without having to
> (necessarily) renegotiate at the start of each transmission.
>
> Please note that I'm still 'recovering' from sitting at that pub and
> on bad coffee so I may not be entirely accurate in my belief that I'm
> not sure ZRTP would be suitable for Digital Radio.
>
> P.

OTR was never designed to be used as an encryption layer for digital
audio/video or HAM radio. It's designed to be an encryption layer for
instant messaging.

This will not be possible unless you modify great deals, and most
likely, you won't have much of the OTR properties.

All the best,
Jurre

--
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for life.

http://jurrevanbergen.nl/