[OTR-dev] Codec2 and OTR

Peter Lawler otr.dev at bleeter.id.au
Fri Feb 15 17:40:08 EST 2013

On 16/02/13 09:27, Nadim Kobeissi wrote:
> I'm not sure I completely understand, but if you're looking to encrypt
> audio, perhaps try ZRTP?
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZRTP
>

> NK

Thanks for the info. Reading now. First response to the opening line of
the WP article would be 'As per the video, Digital Radio is not VoIP'.
Digital Radio is HAM stuff. The article continues on about how it
negotiates at the start of the call. The 'problem' that I see there is
that with HAM stuff, one has no constant signal carrier to maintain the
encryption. Thus there's little (or no?) chance of negotiation at the
start of each transmission. What I *suspect* OTR could do would be
provide the fingerprint that enables secure comms without having to
(necessarily) renegotiate at the start of each transmission.

Please note that I'm still 'recovering' from sitting at that pub and on
bad coffee so I may not be entirely accurate in my belief that I'm not
sure ZRTP would be suitable for Digital Radio.

P.