[OTR-dev] Pidgin Message Splitter Does Not Work with OTR

mentesseg at gmail.com mentesseg at gmail.com
Fri Aug 2 11:20:42 EDT 2013

On 8/2/2013 3:27 AM, otr-dev-request at lists.cypherpunks.ca wrote:
> I'm pretty sure this has been brought up before; let's see if I
> remember.
>
> So you're saying that if the OTR plugin is installed, then even if
> you're *not* speaking with an OTR-enabled buddy, Message Splitter is not
> being invoked?  I'm not sure what would be happening there, as if you're
> not speaking OTR, pidgin-otr's process_sending_im is a no-op.

That's correct!

> (I'll also note that if you *are* speaking OTR, then OTR itself does
> message splitting.)

I've seen no evidence of messages being split in OTR enabled
conversations, nor was I aware that OTR natively split messages
(shouldn't that be prominently featured?).

New problem: OTR seems variable on whether or not it natively
splits/sends and you have no way to tell on the sending end if it is
sucessfully splitting/sending or not.  At first I thought OTR was not
splitting only when Message Splitter was enabled, but now OTR is not
splitting when Message Splitter is disabled as well. /On a failure, the
entire copy and paste is simply ignored on the receiving end as if it
was never sent to begin with!/  And no notification or indication at all
to either party.

> Can you be more explicit about the failure you're seeing, possibly with
> a call trace?  (And what version of pidgin-otr are you using?)

I don't think the conflict is necessarily in the pidgin-otr (which is
4.0.0-1), because the Message Splitter will not work with, say, the
Offline Message Emulation plugin either.  MS is being subsumed.