[OTR-dev] 4.0.0-rc3 ready to roll. Please try it out!

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Sun Sep 2 16:49:08 EDT 2012

I've done a bit more debugging (thanks for your off-list help).
This is a summary for others and new info for you.

The problem is on the originator, in receiving the revealsig message.
It happens in otrl_auth_handle_revealsig, near where authlen is read.

With -O2 and not putting --disable-gcc-hardening, I get the error.
Either of
  -O1
  --disable-gcc-hardening
is sufficient to make it work.

Reading the (dis)assembly, the generated code seems just plain bizarrely
wrong, but I know optimized assembly code is hard to follow.

So at this point I have a workaround for netbsd-5/i386, and I think this
shouldn't hold up the release, because it really looks like an SSP bug
in our version of gcc (4.1.3, which I know is ancient).

I'll keep looking; time to add -S to gcc and read the assembly w/ stabs
hints.

Is anyone else using otr4 on a system with gcc 4.1.3?