[OTR-dev] 4.0.0-rc3 ready to roll. Please try it out!

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Sat Sep 1 11:55:33 EDT 2012

Ian Goldberg <ian at cypherpunks.ca> writes:

> This looks a lot like one of you is logged in more than once.  Could
> this possibly be the case?  (If the other person is using Adium, you'd
> have fallen back to the OTRv2 protocol, so you don't get the protection
> from multiple logins that the new protocol added.)

That could have been true, but I've been doing otr (v2 obviously) with
this person for years, and not having trouble.

I just picked someone else, and tried to initiate.   That person shows
(in pidgin) as being logged in only once.  I got

(11:52:08) Error setting up private conversation: Malformed message received

same as before.   It would be nice to print out the malformed message,
but I don't know how (other than reading the source and changing the
code).

>> Also, in the pidgin chat window, i have multiple tabs.  Two people don't
>> do OTR, and that otr tab has 'start', other things greyed, a separator,
>> their jid, and 'not private'.  That's all fine.  The other person has
>> done OTR (johndoe@ above), and is set to 'no otr', and looks the same -
>> but has the most recently looked at of the other parties' JID!!!  It
>> seems that it's enough to select the tab and come back, and that changes
>> the JID in the OTR menu for the otr-troubled contact.
>
> I'll need to look into this.  Is it replicatable on your end?

It seems to be, at least with this person. setting otr to 'use default'
fixes the problem.  unchecking 'use default' and then unchecking
'enable' makes the OTR menu go away.  But then selecting someone else's
tab and then coming back makes the OTR menu re-appear, with the wrong
jid.