[OTR-dev] 4.0.0-rc3 ready to roll. Please try it out!

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Sat Sep 1 10:09:07 EDT 2012

On Sat, Sep 01, 2012 at 06:30:13AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:

> One of my paranoid friends showed up, and the new library did not work.
>
> I did 'start private' and got a malformed message.  I then changed
> settings to 'default' (vs 'always') and then to 'never', but still was
> not able to interoperate, even with OTR disabled (the other person
> probably is setup to force OTR, as I had been before).   The other end
> is likely Adium.
>
> (20:29:09) Attempting to start a private conversation with johndoe at example.com...
> (20:29:10) Error setting up private conversation: Malformed message received
> (20:29:15) Attempting to start a private conversation with johndoe at example.com/john-does-puter...
> (20:29:16) Error setting up private conversation: Malformed message received
> (20:29:23) Attempting to start a private conversation...
> (20:29:23) gdt at example.com/alpha: can you hear me w/o otr?
> (20:29:24) Error setting up private conversation: Malformed message received

This looks a lot like one of you is logged in more than once.  Could
this possibly be the case?  (If the other person is using Adium, you'd
have fallen back to the OTRv2 protocol, so you don't get the protection
from multiple logins that the new protocol added.)

> Also, in the pidgin chat window, i have multiple tabs.  Two people don't
> do OTR, and that otr tab has 'start', other things greyed, a separator,
> their jid, and 'not private'.  That's all fine.  The other person has
> done OTR (johndoe@ above), and is set to 'no otr', and looks the same -
> but has the most recently looked at of the other parties' JID!!!  It
> seems that it's enough to select the tab and come back, and that changes
> the JID in the OTR menu for the otr-troubled contact.

I'll need to look into this.  Is it replicatable on your end?