[OTR-dev] Active fingerprint context pointer possible issue

David Goulet dgoulet at ev0ke.net
Thu Nov 22 09:29:26 EST 2012

Hi Ian,

Yes I figured after sending the last email that it might be confusing
on what I'm trying to do :). Here goes.

I'm currently working on the Irssi OTR module and I added a command to
forget a given fingerprint. So either the user does the command within
the chat window where for this case I have access to the OTR context
so no need to pass a fingerprint to the command or the user specifies
the human readable form of the fingerprint. (available fingerprints
can be listed using an other command.)

With the later, the only thing I have is the string fingerprint (fp)
so, for now, the only solution I came up with is to iterate over all
OTR contexts of the user state for which I iterate over all fps and
try to match the fp using the otrl_privkey_hash_to_human() and, on
match, using otrl_context_find_fingerprint() for the fp object pointer.

Once getting this pointer, I have to check to see if this fp is NOT in
an ENCRYPTED context before forgetting it.

Here lies my problem, the fp->context always point to the m_context
which does not indicates me the right message state. For now, I've
fixed my problem by returning back the context of the fp previously
found with otrl_context_find_fingerprint() but I guess I should be
able to access all associated context(s) of the fp and make sure it's
safe to forget it? I guess, iterating on them starting with
m_context->next ?

TBH, I'm just confused on how to proceed safely.

Hope this is clearer :)

Thanks a lot!
David

Ian Goldberg: