[OTR-dev] Pidgin-otr end conversation

David Goulet dgoulet at ev0ke.net
Thu Nov 8 16:07:06 EST 2012

Hi Ian,

Ian Goldberg:
> On Wed, Nov 07, 2012 at 04:36:10PM -0500, David Goulet wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm wondering why pidgin-otr is not notifying the peer when
>> ending a private conversation which seems to be recommended by
>> using "otrl_message_disconnect()".
>>
>> I noticed that with irssi-otr <--> piding-otr IRC.
>>
>> It's not a critical issue at all but just asking if there is a
>> reason behind this behavior.
>>
>> Thanks a lot everyone! David
>
> Hmm.  When I choose the "End private conversation" menu item, the
> notification is definitely being sent.  It happens in otr-plugin.c
> line 1019:
>
> /* Disconnect a context, sending a notice to the other side, if *
> appropriate. */ void otrg_plugin_disconnect(ConnContext *context)
> { otrl_message_disconnect(otrg_plugin_userstate, &ui_ops, NULL,
> context->accountname, context->protocol, context->username,
> context->their_instance); }

I've added some debug output and yes this function gets called when
ending an OTR private conversation.

I dug a bit and figured out that the is_logged_in_cb() returns -1
(called by disconnect_context() in libotr, message.c).

This callback checks for an account and a buddy. An account is found
but no buddy thus returning -1 and I guess with IRC pidgin does not
have any registered buddy even for private messaging (the case here)...?

>From there, I don't know much about pidgin/purple for a fix :S.

Hope this can help!

> [This is version 4.0, but I don't recall that being different in
> 3.x.]

Yes version 4.0 (and same with 3.2.1-3 also).

> Is this function not being called when you do it?

Thanks!
David