[OTR-dev] Browser extensions for OTR

Ague Mill ague at mailoo.org
Thu Jun 28 06:56:38 EDT 2012

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 12:54:06PM -0700, Chris Ballinger wrote:
> I noticed that a lot of people these days don't use dedicated chat clients
> anymore and tend to use in-browser chat interfaces on platforms like Gmail
> or Facebook. It's difficult to get people to change their behavior,
> especially to get people to decide to run some 3rd party desktop software
> with which they might not be comfortable. Also, a lot of people seem to use
> Gmail chat from places where they aren't allowed to install 3rd party
> software.
>
> Would it be possible/feasible to write browser extensions (Chrome, Safari,
> FF) that use Emscripten (LLVM to JS compiler) to compile libotr, and then
> hook into the DOM for Gmail or Facebook (or possibly any two user-defined
> text fields?) for "seamless" in-browser OTR?

FireGPG similarily tried to integrate GnuPG encryption with webmails,
and was found to be an impossible thing to do in a secure manner.

Please have a look at the following page for a detailed rationale:
<https://tails.boum.org/doc/encryption_and_privacy/FireGPG_susceptible_to_devastating_attacks/>

--
Ague