[OTR-dev] Browser extensions for OTR

Alex alex323 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 17:40:30 EDT 2012

On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 12:54:06 -0700
Chris Ballinger <chrisballinger at gmail.com> wrote:

> I noticed that a lot of people these days don't use dedicated chat
> clients anymore and tend to use in-browser chat interfaces on
> platforms like Gmail or Facebook. It's difficult to get people to
> change their behavior, especially to get people to decide to run some
> 3rd party desktop software with which they might not be comfortable.
> Also, a lot of people seem to use Gmail chat from places where they
> aren't allowed to install 3rd party software.

If you're using a computer in which you're not allowed to install third
party software, I wouldn't trust it for anything that needs to be
relatively secret. That being said, would it be sufficient to store
your keys and a small single-executable OTR conversion app on a flash
drive, and then when you need to chat securely you can just copy and
paste the content between the app and your browser?

It's never going to be as secure as owning your own computer in a
physically secure location with an open source and audited OS that
you personally installed on an encrypted hard drive, but it's better
than trying to rely on browser security.

--
Alex