[OTR-dev] Incorrect formatted message handling in pidgin-otr plugin

Kjell Braden kb at pentabarf.de
Thu Jul 12 03:48:18 EDT 2012

On 12.07.2012 07:34, Alexander Ivanov wrote:
> What steps do you do to reproduce the problem?
> 1. Start OTR session
> 2. Using pidgin type a message:
> test
> 3. Apply bold formatting to this message
> 4. Send message to recipient without XHTML support.
>
> What is the expected output?
> Recipient must receive (1) text-only version of the message or (2)
> both formatted and text-only versions.
>
> What do you see instead?
> Recipient receives:
> <b>test</b>
>
> AND:
>
> What steps do you do to reproduce the problem?
> 1. Start OTR session
> 2. Type a message using a client without XHTML support:
> Bob, try to use this: <b>example</b>
> 3. Send message to recipient using Pidgin.
>
> What is the expected output?
> Recipient must see all the symbols of the message.
>
> What do you see instead?
> Recipient doesn't see html tags.

This has been discussed numerous times on several bug trackers and this
list.

I wrote a summary of the problem for python-otr [1], see also the linked
2008 thread [2].

-Kjell

[1]
https://github.com/afflux/pure-python-otr/wiki/Incoming-messages-sometimes-contain-HTML-Tags!-Why-are-they-not-being-rendered-correctly%3F