[OTR-dev] OTR and Cold Boot Attacks

Rob Smits rdfsmits at cs.uwaterloo.ca
Sat Jan 7 18:59:35 EST 2012

Hi Justin,

Unfortunately there are some complications with fixing this completely.

In terms of libotr, it would be pretty simple to garble the memory it
allocates for decrypted messages before freeing it (in otrl_message_free).
However libotr can't guarantee that the contents weren't copied elsewhere.

In terms of pidgin-otr, we are out of luck. It will in fact make a copy of
the contents of a decrypted message and provide this copy to pidgin.
Pidgin-otr then has no way to know when pidgin will free this memory.
Without modifying pidgin I don't think there is a way around this.

Regards,
Rob

TrueCrypt's