[OTR-dev] OTR and Cold Boot Attacks

Justin Bull me at justinbull.ca
Mon Jan 2 19:26:59 EST 2012

Hello otr-dev,

I've been doing some minor research into cold boot attacks. I found
OTR quite susceptible to this type of attack. I propose that the code
is updated to zero-out or garble the allocated memory used for storing
the IM conversations prior to freeing it back to the OS. This would
mimic TrueCrypt's strategy to mitigating success of such an attack.

See TrueCrypt's acknowledgement here:
http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/?s=unencrypted-data-in-ram