[OTR-dev] python-otr (again)

Kjell Braden kb at pentabarf.de
Mon May 30 13:20:09 EDT 2011

On 29.05.2011 08:03, WolfRage wrote:
> Hi Kjell,
>
> 	First thank you for your work on python-otr.
>
> I have a few questions regarding your new otr implementation done using
> pure python: 1. should this be used for furture otr implementations that
> are written in Python? 2: how stable would you say this code is? 3: how
> many testers have you gotten so far?
>
> I ask because I am working on creating a implementation for
> Telepathy-Butterfly that will allow it to use OTR encryption. Since
> this implementation is brand new, I don't think it would hurt to use
> your experimental code, since it would work out the bugs in your code
> and ensure my code will be up to date longer. Your thoughts?
> Thank you again for your time.
> --
> Jordan Farrell

Hi Jordan,

 thanks for looking into this.  To answer your questions: I'm using this
package to build a stable OTR plugin for gajim. I think it should be
generic enough to be used in other applications - if not, that's a bug.
The code survived some manual testing against libotr code, as well as
1-2 weeks in "live action" (gajim plugin is working, release is on it's
way in the next few weeks) - I found no bugs but I have to admit I don't
have too many OTR contacts anymore. If you meant stability of the code
base - I didn't put out an official release, because I wanted to be open
for most kind of feedback. If noone points out major design flaws it
will stay that way. Number of testers that I know of is about 2 - not
counting you. :-)

OTR in telepathy would be a really cool thing IMHO. Even more cool if it
could be done independently for butterfly/gabble/... I've no idea about
that framework though.

HTH
--
Kjell