[OTR-dev] Fwd: [jdev] OTR

Nathan of Guardian nathan at guardianproject.info
Wed Aug 17 19:04:01 EDT 2011

Can you let them know that the use of the "Whitespace Tag" is indeed a
way to support discovery without causing the WTF moment described below?
This is something we support in Gibberbot on Android.

Whitespace Tag:

    There is an OTR_MESSAGE_TAG, which is a 24-byte string of whitespace
    that clients can optionally append to (or insert in) messages to
    unobtrusively indicate that they understand the OTR protocol.  The
    string is as follows (in C notation):

	\x20\x09\x20\x20\x09\x09\x09\x09
	\x20\x09\x20\x09\x20\x09\x20\x20
	\x20\x09\x20\x09\x20\x20\x09\x20

    [This is the bit pattern of the string "OTR" as expressed in spaces and
    tabs.]