[OTR-dev] New OTR Development

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Thu Nov 18 14:50:37 EST 2010

On 11/18/10 12:24 PM, Rob Smits wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am a past OTR contributor who is now working with Ian as a grad
> student. This means there will be some new OTR development
> happening!

I'm excited to hear it!

> The current focus is tackling some of the items on this list:
> http://lists.cypherpunks.ca/pipermail/otr-dev/2010-February/001108.html

Regarding the file transfer issue, you might look at the "in-band
bytestreams" protocol that we use as a fallback in the Jabber world:

http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0047.html

See also:

http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0261.html
http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0234.html

>  We've also done some analysis regarding the XMPP
> Resource/Fingerprint issue (
> http://lists.cypherpunks.ca/pipermail/otr-users/2010-September/001869.html
> ).  As it turns out, some of the design changes required to fix the
> "multiple logins" problem (described in the first link above) can
> actually give us a clean solution to this fingerprint issue.

That sounds right.

BTW, over the summer I pinged Ian about potentially formalizing OTR at a
standards body (I think the IETF is the right place, but opinions might
differ). Now that I'm very close to finished with revisions to the base
XMPP specs, I could free up some time to help with that. I'd love to see
an RFC published about OTR so that we can further encourage more
implementations.

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre