[OTR-dev] Pidgin + Yahoo not support SMP?

chris-tuchs at hushmail.com chris-tuchs at hushmail.com
Wed Jul 29 01:52:08 EDT 2009

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 13:53:05 -0700 Ian Goldberg
<ian at cypherpunks.ca> wrote:
>On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 02:25:29AM -0700, chris-tuchs at hushmail.com
wrote:
>> Does Pidgin correctly do SMP over a Yahoo IM connection?
>[...snip...]I know Yahoo just changed their wire protocol, and them
>having lowered their MSS would be totally consistent with your
>observations.  Can you try lowering the yahoo MSS in the pidgin-otr
>code and see if that fixes it?

My experiments with the Yahoo web client limit me to transmitting
650
characters, using the Yahoo supplied Microsoft windows client I can
send 800.  My test string was "123456789." repeated with no spaces.
read the source code for pidgin-otr plugin, and created a file named
"otr.max_message_size" in the directory containing my key files.
The
file contains:
prpl-msn	1409
prpl-icq	2346
prpl-aim	2343
prpl-yahoo	799
prpl-gg	1999
prpl-irc	417
prpl-oscar	2343
Which is <protocol-name><tab><MSS><newline> for each protocol.  The
source opens the file in text mode so I used the OS preferred line
terminator, \r\n, not the bare \n character.  I used the defaults
from
the source, except I lowered prpl-yahoo from 832 to 799.  I was able
to receive two parts of a two part message that Pidgin generated to
initiate a Question and Answer style SMP exchange.  I have not yet
run a Pidgin to Pidgin via Yahoo SMP test.  I believe this will be
sufficient for my purposes while finishing the SMP protocol handling
in GreenLife Emerald Viewer.

Chris

P.S. Thanks for the listing on the software page!