[OTR-dev] OTR + Second Life Client

chris-tuchs at hushmail.com chris-tuchs at hushmail.com
Sun Jul 19 21:54:10 EDT 2009

On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 07:41:43 -0700 Ian Goldberg
<ian at cypherpunks.ca> wrote:
>On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 12:27:52AM -0700, chris-tuchs at hushmail.com
>wrote:
>> I have gotten OTR compiled
>
>Using a native Win32 compiler like VC++?  We'd love it if you
>posted some detailed instructions on how to get that to work!
>
>> and working in the Greenlife Emerald Viewer for Second Life.
>
>Fantastic!

I would be happy to share what I know.  But mostly what I did was
take trilian's port of libgcrypt, libgpg-error, and libotr and
converted it to use cmake.  I 'read' the project files they had and
hand built/edited existing cmake files.  The Secondlife Client code
uses cmake to generate platform specific makefiles.  In my case
.proj files for Microsoft's Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition.  Then
I replaced the older libotr in trillian with the latest from the
otr website.  The code will be published in the next public release
of Greenlife Emerald client.  I will also probably make a patch to
run against a stock version of the secondlife client.  But all that
after we get the otr stuff running right on all three platforms
(Linux, Mac, and Microsoft.)

>> plea to audit the code
>While I good idea in theory, that would pretty much have to be me
>personally, and I don't have the cycles to audit all third-party
>code that uses OTR, unfortunately.  :-(  Normally we suggest
ensuring
>that it interoperates with other OTR-enabled software

This is my proposed test procedure.  Secondlife-Avy1(otr) ->
secondlife-avy2(no otr) -> manual cut and paste -> im-user1(no otr)
-> im-user2(otr).  And back and forth with 3 men-in-the-middle.
Hopefully secondlife-avy1(otr) and im-user2(otr) will be able to
communicate and eventually even authenticate each other.  Will that
work?  Will I need to play tricks with the names of the IM and
second life users?  Make the secondlife client "lie" about what
protocol it's using?

>I can't comment on the libgcrypt issues.
>
>   - Ian

Thanks for looking at the libotr issues.  I'll bug the libgcrypt
folks with the others.

When I have SMP and can authenticate buddies, I would like to have
the Greenlife Emerald viewer listed on the software page if you
don't mind.

Chris