[OTR-dev] Pidgin plugin development and GUI look

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Tue May 27 16:53:41 EDT 2008

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 10:35:41PM +0200, hcat at gmx.net wrote:
> Wow this is one fast mailing list ;)
>
> > How would you show multiple conversations?  If we could figure this out,
> > someone could try to add it at least as an option.
>
> Btw are we talking about "multiple conversations" like a) having
> multiple conversations to multiple persons in the same window using
> tabs or b) chatting with a meta contact using more than one account at
> a time (e.g. XMPP and ICQ)?

We're talking about b.  When the user switches tabs, the status in the
menu bar changes appropriately.

> For a), showing the status icon in the menu bar is a bit confusing
> IMHO. The menu is relative to the selected tab, but the user could
> also interpret it as relative to all of the tabs.

It is indeed relative to the selected tab.

> For b) this would be the same in the toolbar as what is now in the
> menu bar. Without clicking, "OTR: <status>" would be relative to what
> you currently use. I'm not sure about this but if you write to someone
> using XMPP and he replies using ICQ, will your reply go out using ICQ?
> If this is the case, the stauts should change to the new active
> protocol. The popup would have status information for all accounts,
> similar to what is currently in the menu (which I think can still be
> improved to make it more obvious).

But we'd like it obvious at a glance that there are multiple
conversations of differing security happening at once.  Try it out with
the currently checked-in code to see how it works now.