[OTR-dev] Pidgin plugin development and GUI look

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Tue May 27 09:52:41 EDT 2008

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 08:20:45AM -0400, Ian Goldberg wrote:
> Funny you should ask.  ;-)
>
> We're just in the final stages of putting a 3.2.0 preview out.  The
> main user interface changes include moving the OTR button to the menu
> bar (though the button remains an option), support for multiple
> buddies merged into a single contact / conversation window, improved
> authentication user interface (based on the user study we did, to appear
> in SOUPS 2008), and the icons being changed to Tango-based ones.
>
> My goal is to get it all into a state where it can be put in the public
> CVS on sourceforge sometime this week.  Then we'll wait a bit for some
> feedback, and for the various translators to supply translations for the
> new UI strings, and we'll send it out.

The current code is now up on the sourceforge cvs.
http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=128860

Translators:

    Can you update your translations file to include the new text from
    the new version?  See po/README for super-brief instructions, or
    email me if you're having trouble.

    Here are the languages (and most recent translators) I currently
    know about (and are checked in):

    Arabic: Ahmad Gharbeia أحمد غربية <gharbeia at gmail.com>
    German: Thorsten Mühlfelder <thenktor at gmx.de>
    Spanish: Enrique Martinez Cardenas <enrique.martinez at policode.com>
    French: Joel Reardon <jreardon at cs.uwaterloo.ca>
    Dutch: Paul Wouters <paul at cypherpunks.ca>
    Russian: Sergei Smirnov <moscow at hro.org>
    Slovak: Milan Plzik <emempi at gmail.com>

    If you think you've sent me a translation not listed above, send it
    again, since I must have misplaced it.  (But be sure to update it
    for 3.2.0 first).

Others:

    Please try out the new code and tell me if something goes horribly
    wrong (doesn't compile on your platform, doesn't work in some weird
    case, etc.).

My aim is to release 3.2.0 next week or thereabouts.  The documentation
in the README file, as well as the web-based documentation, still needs
to be updated.  [If someone wants to help with that, let me know that as
well.]

Thanks,

   - Ian

The new part of the NEWS file:

28 May 2008:

- The functionality of the OTR button has now moved to a menu.  There's
  an "OTR" menu, as well as an icon showing the current OTR state of
  each active conversation in the window.
- New OTR icons from <cyrus_xiii at yahoo.com>
- OTR icons show up inline in the conversation window when the OTR
  status changes.
- Buddy authentication has been revamped, based on the user study
  published in SOUPS 2008.  The default is now to choose a question and
  an answer only you and the buddy should know.  The question is
  displayed to the buddy, who is prompted for the answer.  The "shared
  secret" and "fingerprint" authentication methods are still available.
- Translations for Arabic, German, Russian