[OTR-dev] session termination

Paul Wouters paul at cypherpunks.ca
Wed May 30 19:11:45 EDT 2007

On Wed, 30 May 2007, Tim wrote:

> You just gave another example of Gaim being unable to send a "session
> termination" -message: If you do close your laptop's lid, it sends your
> laptop to standby or hibernation mode. Gaim won't notice that early
> enough to terminate the session. And you usually won't reopen your
> laptop within 60 seconds or whatever Gaim's limit for resending messages is.

Actually, the OS should signal the application just before going to
hibernation. I am not sure if Linux does this properly, but I think
Adium on OSX properly handles this. (Note it takes a few seconds after
you closed the lid on OSX before the LED goes flashing - that's your
machine doing stuff related to preparing to hibernate).

> Besides that: Even if I left my PC on all day, I wouldn't want to have
> my Instant Messager running all the time - too distracting. If I'm not
> using a program, I exit it. Why would I let it use up ressources for
> nothing? Do you leave your office program running when you just had to
> type a small letter in the morning and then don't need it any more?

Yes I do :)

Paul