[OTR-dev] session termination

Paul Wouters paul at cypherpunks.ca
Tue May 29 11:09:22 EDT 2007

On Tue, 29 May 2007, Tim wrote:

> New behaviour:
> - Alice's Gaim plugin terminates the OTR session on its own, though it
> didn't receive the termination-message from Bob. (It notifies Alice that
> the encrypted session has ended, so she doesn't send any sensitive
> information any more.)

Going offline and online doesnt mean you cannot read those messages anymore.
Only when you change your client when logging in from home to work or
restart your IM client, will that happen. Two clients in OTR should be
able to send and receive messages despite going online and offline.

> If you really don't like this new behaviour, I suggest at least:
> New behaviour B:
> - Alice's OTR plugin displays her a warning: "Your communication partner
> went offline and will likely be unable to read any further OTR-encrypted
> messages. To terminate the OTR session right-click the OTR button and
> select "end session"".

But that is simply not true. Most network outages that don't involve any of
the two partners to change/restart their IM client will keep working fine.

Paul