[OTR-dev] session termination

Paul Wouters paul at cypherpunks.ca
Fri May 25 18:09:34 EDT 2007

On Fri, 25 May 2007, Tim wrote:

> I assume the same thing will happen if both communication partners use
> Gaim. If communication partner now looses his internet connection and
> then exits Gaim, he will lose the session keys as well and thus his
> offline messages.
>
> In my opinion a message transport protocol should above all be reliable.
> The bug I described makes instant messaging with OTR unreliable, because
> one can't be certain all the messages sent can be read.

It is still reliable, in that when the user comes online, OTR kickstarts
and (assuming the queue didnt fill up) will detect unreadable messages,
and will perform a resend. I know this works fine for me. If you send me
a message when offline, when I come online, gaim-otr detects an unreadable
message re-initiates otr. The gaim on the other end will then resend the
message.

So, I think you are being bitten by a Miranda specific bug. Feel free to
install Gaim for windows and proof me wrong (at letoams at jabber.xs4all.nl)

Paul