[OTR-dev] session termination

Paul Wouters paul at cypherpunks.ca
Fri May 25 11:48:22 EDT 2007

On Fri, 25 May 2007, Tim wrote:

> I want to bring up the session termination bug one more time (see Scott
> Ellis' mails for details).
> Shouldn't it be quite easy to write a patch for the Gaim/Pidgin plugin
> in order to make it stop an OTR session as soon as one user goes offline?
> I recently read a bit of the plugin's source code, but since I haven't
> read Gaim's source code yet, I would need quite some time to do it myself.
> So I'm asking if anyone of you is willing to write a patch. You would
> have it done within a few minutes, I guess. It could remain inofficial,
> but it would make OTR usable for me and my friends.
> Right now we have disabled our OTR plugins because that bug is so
> annoying...

With people hopping on and off the net on different IP's, I wouldn't
want to restart an OTR session everytime that happens.

Net connectivity isnt so much what should "end" your OTR session. It's
the user deciding they won't talk to you long enough to justify closing
the secure channel.

I'm not sure what the exact bug is you are experiencing. If it is th
"talking while user is gone" bug, then I agree I would like to see
a better message then just a quote or the garbliegoo we send. According
to Ian, that currently doesn't go through gaim-otr, so we can't really
filter it from gaim-otr.

Paul