[OTR-dev] html in otr messages

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Mon Mar 26 11:55:03 EDT 2007

Ian Goldberg wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 23, 2007 at 02:55:23AM +1100, Scott Ellis wrote:
>> >From Wintermute on the Miranda forum:

>> I had a lengthy email conversation with Ian Goldberg, one of the authors of
>> OTR, libotr and the gaim-otr plugin. If you read the OTR spec carefully, you
>> will see that it specifies optional HTML-formating in the plaintext. As
>> OTR-messages are merely encapsulated using Jabber (or other) protocols, Ian
>> thinks (as do I after thinking about it) that the OTR specs supersede the
>> standards of "lower level" protocols such as XMPP. It is the job of an OTR
>> plugin to process the HTML tags in the plaintext, if they are not used by
>> the client it's the plugins job to strip them.
>> If you don't see it that way, I suggest you contact the otr-dev
>> mailinglist."
>>
>> I think of it quite the opposite way - OTR simply encapsulates protocol
>> messages
>>
>> OTR would have quite a job to do trying to detect whether the client
>> supports HTML in Miranda - there are so many messaging modules etc. And
>> they're likely to change at any time - it would make maintainence difficult.
>> I don't think tracking the client's capabilities is the plugin's job.
>
> You're right; I think that whatever calls the OTR plugin should be able
> to understand what the plugin outputs.

Does this apply only to [X]HTML formatting? The reason I ask is that
people put other kinds of extensions in Jabber messages, and in fact we
would like to encrypt the entire packet for all XMPP packet types, not
just the plaintext (or XHTML-formatted) message body, but we have not
figured out how to do that in OTR, which is one reason why we are
pursuing other approaches to end-to-end encryption:

http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0116.html

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre