[OTR-dev] Creating a libotr.so ...

Paul Wouters paul at cypherpunks.ca
Thu Jun 7 09:46:14 EDT 2007

On Thu, 7 Jun 2007, Rüdiger Kuhlmann wrote:

> recently I got OTR support for my instant messaging application (mICQ) by
> using the library that should better be called libgaimotr. I found the API
> it provides rather lacking, for the following reasons:

I am somewhat confused that you believe so, while saying that you are
missing "IM network specific" options in libotr, which clearly should
not be in libotr but in the IM client? I'll leave it up to Ian to
discuss most of these points, since he is much more familiar with the
design then I am, but:

> * It is impossible to signal back to the library that an injected
>   message could not be sent due to size constraints. Thus, the library
>   does not provide for outgoing fragmentation at all!

This has been almost finished AFAIK. Did you check the code in CVS?

> * ... and even worse: these messages are HTML. OMG, Ponies!

OMG, you found out about our secret code word! There must be a hidden flaw
in OTR somewhere!!!

> * If an unencrypted message with on OTR offer is received, the library
>   does _not_ re-negotiate an OTR session (this can happen if an OTR
>   session was established and the sending application is killed and
>   restarted and thus doesn't know anything about any existing OTR session).

Isn't that the job of the IM client?

> By the way, this email answers the question on the list for a command line
> otr application with "now there is one" (doing ICQ and XMPP).

URL? Is it integrated in mirq now?

Thanks for your work on adopting OTR!

Paul