[OTR-dev] Re: Verification of OTR plugin for Trillian Pro

Twan Fox twanfox at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 00:41:58 EDT 2006

Greetings,

Talking a little with Ian and knowing how quite a few are security
conscience in this particular venue, I had imagined (and in a way,
anticipated) that this kind of a discussion would come up at some point.
In particular, this is kind of a strange ground for me to be in because
I find myself wanting to be able and assured that the work I've been
doing isn't pilfered if someone feels that I'm not doing what they want
me to do. I also understand that with the source unavailable as it is
there isn't much of a way for anyone to do a check on it. While I'm sure
that this explanation can only be taken at face value, let me elaborate
a bit on how I built the OTR plugin for Trillian.

Sad to say, this is my first application 'from scratch' that makes use
of Windows GUI elements as well as interacting with another application
as a plugin. Because of the difficulties I was going to have with those
aspects alone, not to mention deciphering how to use the OTR library, I
turned to the Gaim OTR plugin as a reference guide. Unfortunately for me
the Trillian API doesn't allow me to do things quite the same as the
Gaim OTR handled them. Despite that, much of the calls and hooks that
Gaim OTR made to the OTR library are done so in near identical a way
between the two plugins, including aspects that I don't fully comprehend.

The goal of the Trillian OTR plugin is primarily to intercept messages
received by the client and before the medium plugin the message is
destined for fully processes it and decrypt them (as needed) and
intercept messages being sent out by the local user and encrypt them (as
needed) before sending them. At only one time does the Trillian OTR
plugin attempt to send a message itself (through Trillian and not the
medium plugin) and that is when the user has configured it to send an
opportunistic encryption whitespace tag trailing a message. All other
messages are converted inline (by overwriting an encrypted message
string with the decrypted message before display, by editing the text in
the text entry field with the encrypted text before Trillian passes it
to the medium plugin for processing). What it does not yet do (something
I'm not sure if the 'risk' is worth investigating in code) is to change
any settings within Trillian concerning when it logs messages. This
means that, if the user wants it to, Trillian will log messages that
have passed through an OTR session. Trillian just doesn't know any
different.

In the interest of peer review, I have considered the possibility of
having a member of the OTR development team review the plugin's code, as
kludgey as it is, in order to give an 'okie dokie' that it doesn't do
something nefarious. Beyond that, and my conflicted little conundrum,
I'm not sure quite what would satisfy all involved parties.

Thanks,
Twanfox