[OTR-dev] Patch for account display name

Evan Schoenberg evan.s at dreskin.net
Fri Dec 22 16:58:30 EST 2006

On Dec 22, 2006, at 4:39 PM, Ian Goldberg wrote:

> I didn't see a previous mail about this.  But this looks plausible.
> I'll wait until after the holidays to apply and test it and stuff,
> though.
I'm not sure what happened to it.

Here it is again:
In libotr, contexts are often referred to be their account name and
protocol, such as:
		    format = "?OTR Error: You sent encrypted "
			    "data to %s, who wasn't expecting it.";
		    buf = malloc(strlen(format) + strlen(context->accountname)
			    - 1);
		    if (buf) {
			sprintf(buf, format, context->accountname);
accountname and protocol are intended to be how to associate the
context with a particular messaging account in the client.  However,
to make that association, since a client can have multiple accounts
with the same accountname and protocol, I use accountname to store a
unique identifier for the account (a number).  Obviously, this
results in error messages which are nonsense:
OTR Error: You sent encrypted data to 5, who wasn't expecting it.

<and a dumb proposal here, which isn't as good as the patch>

> What is the function you're passing in there for Adium X?  Is gaim
> likely to use the same function?  If so, it should probably go in the
> UI-independent part of gaim-otr.
I'm not sure what gaim would use in terms of uniquely identifying an
account; certainly gaim does support having multiple accounts with
the same name on the same protocol.

Cheers,
Evan