[OTR-dev] Queuing of messages before the connection is established

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Tue Feb 8 14:43:22 EST 2005

On Tue, Feb 08, 2005 at 11:58:44AM -0600, Evan Schoenberg wrote:
> Maybe a close variation on this?  Automatically set that buddy to
> MANUAL if the buddy is on stricter policy than that (OPPORTUNISTIC or
> ALWAYS), probably just for that session, and modify MANUAL (in general,
> not just in this case) such that it ignores whitespace-based OTR
> requests (if it doesn't already -- sorry, I haven't had a chance to
> play with policies yet).

That is indeed how MANUAL works now.

> That way you'd still get the fingerprint request again if the user
> manually selected "initiate", or if you did yourself, but you would not
> get it automatically on each message.  If you wanted to change it to
> MANUAL or NEVER more permanently, it'd be intuitive to respond to your
> buddy with whom you don't want OTR for wathever reason by going into
> the buddy's preferences and disabling OTR (which would have a stored,
> permanent effect rather than the per-session effect of changing OTR's
> behavior without modifying stored preferences.... as modifying stored
> preferences without notifying the user feels a bit dirty to me).

The "temporarily change to MANUAL" seems like it may be hard to get
right UI-wise, but it does sound like a plausible idea.  This is
definitely an app feature (gaim-otr, Adium, etc.) and not a libotr
feature, though.  What say you give it a shot in Adium, and let us know
how it works out?  ;-)

I'm not going to block 2.0.0 on this, though; I hope to package that up
today, or maybe tomorrow.