[OTR-dev] Flaw in OTR Protocol (with workaround!)

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Mon Aug 8 09:05:13 EDT 2005

I presume that in Adium one can enable/disable OTR (much like the
plugin in gaim) and that when enabled it does opportunistic
exchanges.  It would be nice to be able to set per-user OTR policy to
require or opportunistic or none, so that the one can enable OTR in
general and then turn off opportunistic for those correspondents that
don't like it.

I agree that the current send-with-old-key, get nack, KEX, resend
behavior does much the same as what I'm asking for, but

a) it shows the user 'unreadable message received'

b) it results in sent but unreadable messages for machines that should
have been private/broken but are offline.

Ian: thanks for putting that fix into cvs.

--
        Greg Troxel <gdt at ir.bbn.com>