[OTR-dev] Going forward

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Thu Dec 23 16:01:17 EST 2004

On Thu, Dec 23, 2004 at 09:49:25AM -0800, Len Sassaman wrote:
> (iChat speaks a completely different protocol than gaim over HTTP
> proxies, and we haven't looked to closely at that.)

It turns out the protocol gaim calls "HTTP" is what everyone else calls
"HTTPS"; gaim doesn't support the protocol everyone else calls "HTTP".

The HTTP protocol is the "hardest" of the four commonly-supported proxy
protocols (SOCKS4, SOCKS5, HTTP, HTTPS).  But it's *way* easier than
reassembling IP packets into separate TCP stream, which is what you need
to do to use OSX divert sockets.  (Bleh.)  [Though the divert sockets do
have that nice "no configuration" property.]

I think the HTTP proxy protocol is the next thing to attack; I think
I've got a handle on it.