[OTR-dev] Fragmenting proposal

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Wed Dec 15 16:27:35 EST 2004

On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 01:20:40PM -0800, jbash at velvet.com wrote:
> I haven't read the spec; is there a maximum length for an OTR message?

There isn't.  [Well, something involving 2^32, I suppose.]

> I also don't know the Gaim API; does it give you an unambiguous
> "that was too long" indication?

That's one of the big problems.  The sending of the message *doesn't*
fail.  But at some unknown time in the future, the network may send you
back a message saying "you recently sent a message that was too big,
loser".  [And I'm pretty sure gaim plugins don't even *get* to see that
error message.]

I'd like to leave deciding what fragment size to use up to the
application (i.e. not specify it in the Protocol document), if possible.