[OTR-announce] gaim-otr 0.9.0 is now online

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Tue Nov 30 15:14:05 EST 2004

I've put 0.9.0 online.  The most notable change: the name of the plugin
has changed from otr-plugin.so to gaim-otr.so.  This means that
(depending on your packaging) you may need to manually delete the old
/usr/lib/gaim/otr-plugin.so file, and you'll certainly need to re-enable
Off-the-Record Messaging in gaim's Preferences->Plugins panel.

http://www.cypherpunks.ca/otr/gaim-otr-0.9.0.tgz

Other changes listed below.  I believe I've now addressed every issue
that's been suggested, except one: jbash asked for OTR to automatically
start a private connection with a correspondent for whom we have a
fingerprint.  But as Paul noticed when he logged in from a machine
without OTR installed, that would be Bad.

[There's also the minor point that libgcrypt only allows a fixed amount
of secure memory; right now, we've set it at enough for 100 private
connections, but something should be done about that eventually.]

If you've told me an issue that hasn't been addressed yet, let me know.

Thanks!

   - Ian

- Included the OTR Messaging Toolkit.  See the README for details.

- Finished the Protocol document

- Changed the name of the plugin binary from "otr-plugin.so" to
  "gaim-otr.so".  *** NOTE: this means you'll have to (1) remove the
  old otr-plugin.so file from your plugins directory, and (2) re-enable
  the Off-the-Record Messaging plugin in the Preferences panel.

- Included MAC keys used to create messages in the revealed MAC section
  of the Data message, in addition to MAC keys used to verify messages.

- Set all exported symbols to start with otrl_ (for the library) or
  otrg_ (for the gaim plugin), in preparation for moving the pieces
  into their own directories.

- If we receive a Data message with no actual message in it, don't
  display it to the user.  This may eventually be useful for doing
  "heartbeat" key rotations.

- Separated libotr and gaim-otr into their own directories.

- Switched from using gaim_notify_* to a slightly modified version that
  doesn't grab the focus

- Put all the cipher operations in secure memory.  This makes each
  private connection take 9472 bytes of secure memory, so we up the
  available amount of secure memory to 100 times that.  Eventually,
  we'd like to make this dynamically grow.