[OTR-announce] gaim-otr-0.9.9rc1 online

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Wed Dec 8 19:46:57 EST 2004

0.9.9rc1 is up.  This is a release candidate for 1.0.  Please bang on it.

Paul's kindly donated a mirror site:

http://www.xelerance.com/mirror/otr/

With luck, even if we eventually get /.ed, it'll hold up better than my
1M ADSL line at home.  ;-)

Changelog:

- Removed the 100 private connection limit, by not using a fixed amount
  of secure memory.  Unfortuantely, this means that *no* memory is
  pinned any more, but pinning only ever happened before in the unlikely
  event you ran gaim as root.

- Changed the "Private connection with (username) refreshed" dialog at
  Paul's request so that it's no longer in "scary" "evil" bold, and
  rephrased it so it's less likely to be misread as "refused" instead of
  "refreshed".  ;-)

- We now send heartbeats (OTR Data Messages with an empty message part)
  once a minute, to anyone we're confident is still online.  If both
  sides are doing this, then keys get rotated regularly, even if one
  or both sides aren't actively typing.  This aids perfect forward
  secrecy.

- Fixed a bug wherein multi-person chat windows would get the OTR button
  in their button bar if the OTR plugin was enabled when one of them was
  active.

Links:
http://www.cypherpunks.ca/otr/
http://www.cypherpunks.ca/otr/gaim-otr-0.9.9rc1.tar.gz