[OTR-users] some questions

Scott Ellis mail at scottellis.com.au
Sat Dec 30 09:41:18 EST 2006

regarding the html tags observed by miranda users:

miranda does under certain circumstances (depending on which messaging
plugins etc are in use) understand the 'square brackets markup' ("bbcodes")
- but does not undertstand html natively

it is my understanding (please correct me if i'm wrong) that both trillian
and gaim undertstand html natively

my position is that this is a gaim/trillian error - html tags are not
supported by most im protocols - to my knowledge only AIM allows and
prescribes that clients understand these tags. the AIM miranda pluigin has
recently been altered to allow the OTR plugin the opportunity to decript
messages before these tags are filtered by the protocol plugin - so at least
for AIM this issue should have been resolved (note that there is an
additional complication here when using the 'metacontacts' plugin that has
also been resolved in the most recent release)

i am led to beleive that for other protocols (e.g. icq etc) trillian and
gaim should not be trasnmitting these tags with the expectation that other
clients will understand them

a not insignificant amount of re-engineering was required with
OTR/AIM/Miranda to allow correct operation - i am not at all familiar with
the information path under trillian/gaim but i would not be at all surprised
if there are architectural issues when it comes to decription of messages
and the access plugins/protocols have as they make there way from the
network level to the UI level

Scott