[OTR-dev] otr file transfer

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Tue Jul 24 11:57:53 EDT 2012

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 02:57:24PM -0400, Michael Hanna wrote:
> Hi, what is the status of file transfers over OTR?

libotr now supports the ability for an application to produce an "extra
symmetric key" at both ends of an OTR conversation.  Applications would
then need to support using that key to do secure file transfer.  We had
an implementation a while back, but if I remember correctly, it sent the
file inline, which has two major drawbacks:

- The big file gets sent via the IM server, which may get upset if it's
  really big
- Your IM conversation is blocked until the file finishes being sent