[OTR-dev] Re: Requirements for libotr4

Jonathan Schleifer js-otrim at webkeks.org
Thu Jun 19 16:42:46 EDT 2008

Ian Goldberg <ian at cypherpunks.ca> wrote:

> I'm not too familiar with this concept of transporting ICQ within
> XMPP.
>
> Right now, clients can tell libotr what their MMS is for any given
> conversation.  You're saying that the client might not know, because
> he's speaking XMPP to a gateway which converts it to ICQ?  What
> happens if the gateway gets a message that's too big?
>
> In general, determining the MSS is highly non-trivial.

The client *DOES* now the maximium MMS, so if it's per-conversation, it
works.
If a message is too long, it's silently dropped by the ICQ gateway.
This is really bad behaviour anyway, but all gateways seem to handle
it like this. The max. MSS seems to be really small on ICQ without
direct connections. And I don't know of any ICQ gateway taht uses direct
connections.

--
Jonathan