[OTR-dev] Re: Requirements for libotr4

Kjell Braden fnord at pentabarf.de
Fri Jun 20 02:39:38 EDT 2008

<slrng5j2os.iks.a.sporto+bee at darkenemy.halifax.rwth-aachen.de>
<20080619170908.417dbde4 at webkeks.org>
<1213889178.6456.11.camel at hegg>
<20080619193250.GY26418 at thunk.cs.uwaterloo.ca> <20080619224246.63b6c71c at webkeks.org>

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 22:42:46 +0200, Jonathan Schleifer
<js-otrim at webkeks.org> wrote:
> The client *DOES* now the maximium MMS, so if it's per-conversation, i
> works.
> If a message is too long, it's silently dropped by the ICQ gateway.
> This is really bad behaviour anyway, but all gateways seem to handle
> it like this. The max. MSS seems to be really small on ICQ without
> direct connections. And I don't know of any ICQ gateway taht uses direct
> connections.

As Uli pointed out, this is my fault: I statically returned 0 from the MMS
calback. Looks like I forgot a TODO-comment.

Ian wrote:
> We want to display *something* to the other user if he doesn't have OTR
> installed, though.  Are you suggesting each IM client can provide its
> own text here?  That would be OK, I suppose.  We'd need another
> OtrlMessageUiOps callback for that.

no! It's enough to just switch to *one* callback that translates *all*
strings (forgive me if I got you wrong and this is what you're suggesting).
We would use it to do error messages as well as this announce message.

Thanks for clarifying the conversion issue, I think I finally got it. This
resolution seems okay with me.

Thanks,
Kjell