[OTR-users] Question about Google Chat history

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Wed Jul 26 15:56:19 EDT 2017

On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 10:41:45AM -0700, Robin Hobbensiefken wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if there is any way to pull up the messages stored in
> google chat history using pidgin. I can see all of the OTR messages in my
> chat history but they aren't saved in Pidgin. I realize this is probably a
> pipe dream but is it possible to pull them back up somehow?

Do you mean OTR (encrypted) messages you sent with pidgin, unencrypted
messages you sent with pidgin, or unencrypted messages you sent with the
normal gchat interface?

(Does Google Chat even still work with XMPP/pidgin?)

Past encrypted messages you sent will only be recoverable if you
configured pidgin to log a plaintext copy (not the default behaviour for
security reasons, but you can toggle a checkbox to log them anyway).

Past unencrypted messages should be visible in the google chat interface.

Or do you mean what *Google* calls "off-the-record", which is not what
this list is about (the "Off-the-Record Messaging" encryption protocol),
and is indeed not encrypted at all, but just isn't used to target ads to
you, and does not show up when you view your history?