[OTR-users] private session recognition "fails" in Adium

Jens Bürger jbuerger at arcor.de
Fri Aug 18 01:12:34 EDT 2017

Hello all,

I am using Pidgin in Linux with otr-plugin. I'm absolutely unsure if this could be a bug, misconfiguration, a problem in Pidgin or the otr plugin… so I’m kindly describing what is my issue and maybe you have hints:

I'm using Pidgin 2.10.12 and the otr plugin 4.0.2 on my Linux PC. I also use Adium on my Mac. Both with the same ICQ account. I have a problem when people using ICQ with Adium send me messages.

It often happens that people send me messages and the only thing I get is a informative text saying
"The message received from $ICQNUMBER cannot be read because you are not in a private conversation."

This is annoying because these messages are of course lost. I have to start a private conversation manually then and ask the people to write their stuff again.

Is this is a known behavior? What can I do about it?

Kind regards,
Jens