[OTR-users] [cryptofestival-london] Second free CryptoCLASS, at Mozilla this time.

Bernard Tyers - ei8fdb ei8fdb at ei8fdb.org
Fri Mar 28 10:23:37 EDT 2014

(I have CC’ed the OTR users list on this mail as I feel its a topic of interest. If that was not acceptable, apologies.)

> There's nothing wrong with OTR, it's just harder to teach to non technical people.

I’d disagree with that.

Instant messaging is essentially human interactions, supported by computer.

I’d argue OTR (cryptography) is just computers interacting, a computer exchanging messages which are validated somehow by the other computer.

When I interviewed the participants of my study, there was a mixture of good structural mental models and bad functional mental models, and vice-versa.

A number of participants were involved in scenarios where they had to validate humans identities, sometimes remotely (one situation: different parties in London, Syria, Bahrain).

When probed they explained their completely human procedures. Not surprisingly they were similar to the interactions carried out by OTR.

One conclusion I made was that non-technical people CAN understand OTR - the issue is OTR is implemented in user software in ways they CANNOT understand (or find difficult) - jargon, cryptogtaphic terms, overly complicated language.

Hence, my wanting to change how it’s explained.

Thanks,
Bernard