[OTR-users] Trouble getting OTR-Pidgin to appear in plugin list after successful compile (Linux)

Finhosting admin at finhosting.fi
Wed Jan 1 22:28:32 EST 2014

Hi - wondering if I could get some help with this. It might even be something simple-stupid but, we'll see.

I want to compile and run Pidgin-OTR version 4.0.0 on the latest CentOS, which is 6.5. I downloaded the source for libotr 4.0.0 and pidgin-otr, and it
apparrantly compiled cleanly and the ./install seemed fine (quite a few -devel packages required, as was mentioned in the docs). But when I run Pidgin, I don't
see the plugin in the list. The version of Pidgin is from the CentOS default install (Pidgin 2.7.9-11.el6 (libpurple 2.7.9)).

I've tried various things to get the OTR plugin to pop into the list, like copying the libraries around to different directories, making a plugins directory
within the user's .purple directory and putting files there, and various EXPORT commands. Maybe I'm not doing a necessary EXPORT command correctly, I'm not sure?