[OTR-users] Pretty-please standardize OTR signature storage, per OS.

subharo at hushmail.com subharo at hushmail.com
Sat Sep 14 16:12:09 EDT 2013

Hello Tamme,

On Fri, 13 Sep 2013 15:14:02 -0400 "Tamme Schichler"
<tammeschichler at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> How does
>>> "Off-the-Record Address Book" sound?
>>
>> Hmm, it's a bit long.  How about "otr-stor" (or "otrstore")?

>that would work well for the Unix package and the executable name.
>When
>registering the program with Windows (for uninstallation), it
>would be
>better to write out the "Off-the-Record" part. The programs don't
>have a
>description, just a help link and maybe a short comment, here, so
>its
>usual to have long, descriptive "package" names. Gpg4win is an
>outlier
>in that regard, as it never mentions the long form of its name.
>Everything that's not a game spells out clearly what it does,
>especially
>if it's a framework or installed library (programs targeted only
>at
>developers use some acronyms though).

OK, I agree to a short name such as "otr-store" (for process name,
and Debian package name), and a longer name wherever else it's
appropriate.  9 characters will hopefully be OK.

>I wrote a small test service over the last two days or so. It
>still
>needs a bit of refactoring because I don't know how to do certain
>things
>in Python yet, but it already works as basic key/value-list store.
>It
>only runs on TCP loopback so far because I can't use domain
>sockets here
>and named pipes are not very well integrated in Python it seems.
>(The
>Win32 Extensions for Python probably have the necessary functions,
>but
>the interface is too low-level for me.)

Fantastic!!

>What's missing are basically modules that set up a domain socket
>or
>named pipe with the necessary security and start a new thread for
>each
>connection stream. I don't know whether I can write either of
>them,
>because they involve systems I'm entirely unfamiliar with.

Hopefully more Python expertise will show up.  Oh Python gurus, I
beseech you!  I call upon on your expertise!  :)

>Before I can continue with the implementation I need to know which
>data
>needs to be stored and which commands are necessary though. I will
>
>upload what I currently have after removing a few potential
>errors.
>
>-Tamme

I'll be away for 10 days, but I'll try to look at your code after
that.